What It's Like To Work In Costa

14:38:00 Unknown 0 Comments


For those who don't know, I work at Costa. I'm a barista.

The reason I chose Costa is because, of their foundation. They help the farmers that grow the beans as well as helping schools and societies, such as in Peru. To me, that's amazing. I love companies who grow but never forget to give. A company that not only is internal succession a priority but, ethical and environmental factors aren't dismissed.
Not everyone knows that about Costa because everyone is so busy focusing on Starbucks or other coffee chains.

During my first 2 days, it was so overwhelming and honestly, I didn't think I would know how to make the different types of coffee so quick. For example, if you want a primo (small) latte to take out, it's 2 shots however if you were sitting in it's only one shot, and medium sizes have two shots and massimo (large) sizes have three shots. Also, there's different ways of preparing the milk for different types of coffee; for a cappuccino, it needs to be foamy so when you're heating it up you run it up and down to make it foamy and bubbly up to 140°C, however you don't do it in a fast pace; whereas, if you're preparing the milk for a flat white, the milk jug needs to be at a certain angle so when it's heating up it's swirling then you bubble it up for a little while and back to swirling again until it reaches 140°C. If the customer asks for it to be extra hot, it's up to 160°C but never go over because it'll burn the milk.

I know, to you, it sounds complicated but because the job is repeatable you remember it quickly so if you're training to be a barista or want to be one, don't worry because it gets easier each time.

You most definitely will approach mean customers, but never let it get to you because there are also amazing customers and no-one should ever let bad customers run your life.
My first bad customer were an old couple, I remember it clearly because it was my first ever shift. I had to prepare an americano, even though I didn't know how to but I had to learn somehow, and I made it right, however I didn't know that the milk for the americano had to be placed in a very tiny milk jug and not straight into the mug, which was what I did. They were furious and yelling, "don't you know how to do your job right?!" As much as you want to yell back, you have to apologise and make it again. Customer service does take patience and that is one of the main things I learnt from it.

Another bad customer was an old lady. She was one of those customers that never want the trainee to make the coffee for her because it's not 'good enough'. You just HAVE to shake it off instead of pouring the coffee on them.

I've had such amazing customers too. One of them were a dad and a daughter and ironically, they were the next customer I served after the two mean old couple. I'm not sure if they heard it or not but, they were telling me that they just wanted to remind me that I'm doing a good job and to not worry. Honestly, I appreciated it so much.

Another was an old man, he was the first person I served a flat white coffee. I didn't know how to do any designs or anything so it basically looked like a blob and we laughed it off. After he drank it, he came back to the counter and told me that that was his best flat white he has ever had. It's such a small thing for other people, but I don't like taking small things for granted so it was very motivational.

That's all I have for now.
Thank you for reading my blog, be safe.

.nicoleaejayflora.

u Might Also Like

0 comments: